high-quality work based on family values
- 1947 Kenneth Goddard and J. Gilbert Dobson founded Dobson Heavy Haul in Bay City.
- 1948 One of nine companies that founded the organization that ultimately became the Specialized Carriers and Rigging Association (SC&RA).
- 1950’s The company expands its capabilities with heavy duty trucking in the Midwest. It also begins manufacturing its own custom heavy-duty trailers.
- 1957 Dobson hauls 41,000 miles of cable to Mackinac. This cable was used to produce the huge cables supporting the center span of the Mackinac Bridge.
- 1958 Dobson Heavy Haul becomes the first hauler in history to be given a permit to carry an oversized load over the Mackinac Bridge. The bridge was temporarily closed when the load was taken across.
- 1959 Company wins the contract for rigging and steel hanging on virtually all the buildings at Wurtsmith Air Force Base in Oscoda.
- 1965 In response to customer requests, Dobson Heavy Haul adds steel erection division.
- 1965 Company moves to new headquarters at 3660 N. Euclid, Bay City. New facilities include a rail site and expanded storage and fabrication areas.
- 1969 With the purchase of VanHaaren Trucking, the nation’s oldest registered trucking firm, Dobson expands heavy trucking capabilities to include the entire U.S.
- 1980 Innovative safety programs started by Dobson Heavy Haul lead to a number of regional and national awards for safety.
- 1989 Company is awarded steel erection and rigging contract for the new physical education building, Ryder Center, at Saginaw Valley State University.
- 1994 Dobson Heavy Haul purchases Ponder Iron Works (Ponder Door Company) .
- 1997 Dobson Heavy Haul celebrates 50 years of leadership in providing service to its Midwest commercial and industrial customers.
- 1999 Dobson Heavy Haul opens Wixom office to expand services in Metro Detroit area.
- 2002 Purchases additional “low profile” specialty cranes for in-plant maintenance work. Expands engineering and fabrication capabilities for the manufacturing of special, high-tolerance equipment.
- 2003 Changes company name to Dobson Industrial.
- 2006 Third generation of family ownership begins.
- 2007 Company celebrates its 60th anniversary.
- 2008 Marks the 60th anniversary of the SC&RA and Dobson Industrial remains one of five original founding companies.
- 2015 Dobson family sells its ownership interest to remaining partners. The Dobson name continues as the proven leader in the rigging & machinery moving, steel fabrication & installation business.
- 2017 Company celebrates its 70th anniversary.
- 2021 Marks the 70th anniversary of the SC&RA and Dobson Industrial as a founding member.
- 2011-2022 Company receives numerous safety awards for outstanding safety performance.
- 2016-2021 Marks six consecutive years with zero recordable injuries.
- 2022 Company celebrates its 75th anniversary.
Our family business takes the safety of the work environment very seriously. We have an excellent safety record and have won dozens of awards and been recognized in our industry for our safety records. If safety is important to you, you can rest assured that it is important to us. We are dedicated to keeping our work place and yours safe!
Recent safety awards: